Hardware Product Development
Industrial Design Specialist
About Polaroid: Iconic brand, tiny company
Polaroid was founded in 1937 by one of the most seminal innovators of the 20th century, Edwin Land. His motto was, “don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible.” In 2008, Polaroid shuttered its last factory, but a group of diehard fans came together as The Impossible Project to save instant film. Over 10 years later, that start-up acquired what was left of Polaroid and today we’re again a small group of people passionate about empowering creators to change the world in the name of Polaroid.
What we're building: tools for creators
Throughout its 80-year history, Polaroid was at its best when we made tools for people to express themselves, push boundaries and move culture forward. In the next decade, we are getting back to this purpose. We're not solving small problems, and we're not addressing a small market; our goal is to make products that will make the world more meaningful and human.
As an Industrial Design Specialist, your main duties are focused on Polaroids’ HW products CMF, packaging and 3D design modeling. You are responsible for collaborating with designers, engineers, external partners, contract manufacturers, and suppliers, to forecast, develop, implement, execute and optimze color, material and finish plans into production. You also develop, design, and test standards and guidelines for developing packaging solutions that areas well as reviewing and improving existing packaging designs. You’re an integral part of the organization’s Product Development process while also helping industrial design 3D modeling and integration rebuilding 3D in Creo for mechanical engineering design.
Objectives of the role
- CMF & ID for hardware design of Polaroid analogue products: according to the product industrial design to re-build 3D model in Creo for subsequent mechanical design processing by product development team.
- Coordination of product CMF appearance-related engineering control process from product development stage till mass production: responsible for the validation process of prototype, sample builds and yield optimization.
- Design and development of packaging and in-box accessories: owner ofthe packaging material development, design quality assurance test, verification and production.
What you will do
- Based on the ID design and mechanical system architecture working closely with the mechanical team leader and product development team to rebuild Creo 3D model.
- Cosmetic parts tooling DFM review, including material injection gate, joint line, draft angle, etc., coordinating the collaboration efforts between vendors, mechanical engineer, design engineers in order to come out resolutions.
- Making sure the CMF and artwork specifications, cosmetic requirements, and acceptance criterias are explicated and provided to relevant vendors for feasibility assessment.
- Conducting the verification process for prototypes, tooling parts and post-processing color, effect and dimension in order to assuremeeting the cosmetic specification and quality requirements.
- After above initial validation done for the CMF cosmetic and quality, sending samples to HQ designer for final confirmation process.
- Coordination of all the prototype runs and production builds making sure the deliverables of all cosmetic related parts and material readiness per master development schedule and ramp plan.
- Define tolerance spec for printing and laser etching as well as the drawing of measurement allowance aiming for production control based on the manufacturing capability of each supplier.
- Manage related labels/mylar/badge for camera products the implementation and confirmation process
- Ensure all ID DQA test and validation in place in each development phase, test items confirmed, test spec clarified and test result verified.
- Cosmetic issues reviewing and tracking, working with suppliers to identify root causes and come up with corrective actions. Any potential risk of impacting the cosmetic effects, reaching consent by HQ designer is necessary.
- ID related waiver process, co-work with SQE to define and adapt post-production waiver spec in order to mitigate and control the risk.
- Packaging material and in-box accessories’ development and manufacturing, RFQ process, cost review, samples check, die-cut tooling drawing and fine tune as well as final artwork and drawing release to suppliers.
- Confirm packaging development progress and material readiness per master schedule for each build.
- Sample delivery status tracking and its manufacturing process confirmation
- Approval process of all the packaging materials' printing color, quality, dimension including giftbox, S&C slips, QSG & labels
- Working with the factory and/or contract manufacturing on the production method and SOPof the packaging material prior to the mass production as well as creation and maintance of the packaging BOM.
- Assist the packaging design process and provide certification LOGO image files to HQ designers as well as due diligence the artwork design back and forth till finalized and production ramp up.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, graphic or visual design and/or design related fields master’s degree an advantage;
- Minimum of 3-5+ years experience as an industrial designer or similar design role in consumer electronics, camera imaging product, accessories, consumer research and/or another related field.
- At least 2-3+ years experience in packaging of consumer electronics product and/or assessories.
- Experience in graphic design, packaging design and sensitivity to layout, logo, typography, and color.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD/CAM and an advanced knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of printing processes, packaging styles, types, and materials.
- Team work and project delivery skills, with passion in collaborating in a cross-functional and multi-geographic team.
- Excellent attention to detail and to the brand guidelines.
- Logical thinking / proactive attitude.
- Effective communication and time management skills.
- Open to explore creativity and a knack for visually interpreting and simplifying concepts.
- Good English skills to globally present your ideas
- Inquisitive attitude with consumer empathy, and with an avid interest in instant film camera products.
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Taipei office. You will be reporting to the Design Quality Team Leader, working with Product Development in Taiwan and Product teams in Europe.
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV and letter of motivation with any other relevant information to Tiffany Lee ([email protected]).
Applications must be accompanied by a personalised letter of motivation or they will not be considered.