UX and Software Development
Senior UX Designer
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
About us: iconic brand, tiny company.
Polaroid was founded in 1937 by one of the most seminal innovators of the 20th century, Edwin Land. His motto was, “don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible.” In 2008, Polaroid shuttered its last factory but a group of diehard fans came together as The Impossible Project to save instant film. Over 10 years later that startup acquired what was left of Polaroid and today we’re again a small group of people passionate about empowering creators to change the world in the name of Polaroid.
Your role: shape the digital product future of an icon.
Throughout its 80-year history, Polaroid was at its best when we made tools for people to express themselves, push boundaries and move culture forward. In the next decade, we are getting back to this purpose. We're not solving small problems, and we're not addressing a small market; our goal is to make products that will make the world more meaningful and human.
As Senior UX Designer, you will:
- Identify and shape the best user experience across the full range of our digital products, including our apps, digital services, and the digital UX aspects of our hardware products
- Lead the process to create and validate our UX designs, covering user research, wireframe creation and prototype building, usability tests, and UI design
- Facilitate collaboration with developers and stakeholders, in particular the product, insights and software teams, to create meaningful products our customers fall in love with
- Understand business objectives, gather and evaluate requirements, plan and conduct user research, create competitor analyses, and interpret data and feedback in order to craft engaging digital experiences
- Illustrate design ideas using different models, including personas, flows, storyboards, and wireframes
- Create and validate interactive prototypes and conduct usability tests
- Design user interfaces, write copy for the screens and create assets for the engineering team
- In ‘short’: plan the design process, create the designs and align with the rest of the organization - as a member of our small but bright UX team which will support you
As Senior UX Designer, you bring:
- Prior experience as a UX Designer – we expect to be wowed by multiple impressive projects where you played a central role
- A user-centric mindset and an approach that combines strategy and analysis with creativity – it’s not about building pretty things, it’s about understanding and shaping culture
- A deep sense of user empathy – our products tap into deep human feelings, so you’ll need to understand the motivations and underlying emotions of our users
- Strong opinions – well informed but loosely held – on design, UX, consumer electronics, digital services and product in general
- An affectionate relationship with data with a strong passion for research and insights
- Facilitation skills to make workshops and sprints not only meaningful with lasting impact but also fun
- Excellent English, including strong communication skills and competent copy writing – not necessarily perfect but with a sense for tone of voice and attitude
- Social magnetism – a strong team player, bringing people together and building connections
- A playful, creative and optimistic mindset which makes hard problems feel more like play than work.
- Last but not least, proficiency in a variety of design and prototyping tools – some of the ones we use include Sketch, Adobe XD, Figma, Flinto, and Zeplin.
What to expect
This is a full-time role based in our Amsterdam HQ (Houthavens).
If you’d like to be considered for the role, please email your CV and letter of motivation as well as any other relevant information to support your application to Jamie Saul ([email protected]).
Applications must be accompanied by a personalised letter of motivation or they will not be considered.